Saturday, January 24, 2009

I need to know how to communicate effectively - & badly!!!

Effective communication skills are very important to me, especially in the context of relationships. Communication and relationships are inseparably connected since communication involves every aspect of our interaction with others. Having effective communication can help to build bridges between strangers and help one to make new friends. For an introvert like me, to engage in a conversation with a stranger (and subsequently to maintain it) is really challenging. Many times, to avoid awkwardness, I would prefer not to speak to people whom I am not close with. To some people, their impression of me may be aloof and arrogant. In actual fact, I just do not know how to make small talk and keep the conversation going. Hence, when I know that ES2007S can provide me with the skills to communicate and convey my thoughts to others effectively, I decided to take up this module.

Effective communication will also help me to build a good relationship with my family and friends since it ensures that messages are conveyed accurately and prevents any misunderstandings. Very often, I do not know how to express the way I feel or how to make my needs known to others. On top of that, I am afraid that if I voice out my displeasure when they do not meet my expectations, I would cause unhappiness to them. Hence, whenever my needs are not met, I always bottle things up and keep my displeasure to myself. When that happens, I would tend to fume silently and refuse to interact with anybody. Sometimes, people might think that I am very unapproachable. Therefore, if I am equipped with good communication skills, I can be more assertive. Moreover, I would be more sensitive towards others if I learn how to voice out my disagreements in an empathetic way. With effective communication, there is a likelihood of getting my views across, avoiding conflict by showing that I respect the other party and maintaining good relationships, thus creating a “win-win” situation.

Effective communication is important when I join the workforce. In the workplace, meetings and discussions are venues for employers and employees to brainstorm for effective strategies and to relay their plans to each other. Therefore, communication skills play an important role in helping one to carry out presentations and facilitate discussions. The most efficient way to bring about a desired outcome is to articulate ideas and provide appropriate responses clearly. Very often, I find myself inadequate in the way I present my knowledge to others. Hence, having good interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively would help me to convey ideas clearly to others when I am in the workforce.


Well, I guess, from this blog, you have known all my weaknesses. Yes, they are communication weaknesses. I do hope that I can polish up my communication skills and when I have acquired these skills, I can be more confident in the future. :)

5 comments:

  1. Hi! I am quite impressed that you have demonstrated the importance of communication in many aspects, including relationship with your own family! While I only focused upon its importance at the workplace.

    Though misunderstanding is rare amongst my family. But this brings me to a past memory of having misunderstood by my parents before. I should make effort to be concious and responsible in my speech towards my family at all time.

    Thank you for being personal in your sharing as it helped me to emphatise your experience and also to reflect upon them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Minmin,

    Just like what Wai Pheng commented, I'm also impressed by your honesty, as well as, your interest in improving oneself. But you know what? You are not alone. I am not too comfortable with conflicts or in situations in which people are unhappy. I'm also learning and we shall learn together. LOL!

    I agree with you that making small talk with strangers can be intimidating at times, but this can be practised by starting out with talking to one of your friend's friend in the presence of your friend. I find this useful for myself. I'm not too sure if ES 2007S gonna teach us how to make small talk though. But what I have learned about making small talk is, to try to fish around and find a common interest both parties have. In reality, I do find it hard to make small talk if the other party is clearly not interested in talking to me. =P

    Nevertheless, I'm sure you gonna achieve your objectives in time to come. (n_n)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Min Min,
    I am quite surprised that you mention that you are an introvert, but since you know your character, I believed that you are able to change when you are equipped with the effective communication skills.

    I agree with you that effective communication skills are important in the workplace as well as with family and friends since these are the people that you will come in contact with most and hence, it is more likely that you will cause unhappiness and misunderstandings if miscommunications arise.

    Anyway, we will both work hard and absorb as much skills as possible in this course to avoid miscommunication with other people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Min Min,

    I really don't think that you are introvert. It was really nice of you to take the initiative to talk to me first on the bus that day. The conversation i had with you was really good, and it gave me a chance to know you better (and perhaps for you to know me too).

    Nonetheless, hope that we can both improve ourselves, and master the skill of effective communication.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi my fellow groupmate!

    I am seriously, very honoured to be in the same project group as you (if you don't already know, Wai Pheng, you and I will be in the same project group). I find you very forthcoming and genuine from your first blog post. These are rare communication qualities I admire. I am sure you will be able to refine your communication skills further after this module because you have courageously plunged yourself out of your comfort zone.
    Like you, I do have a problem expressing my unhappiness or frustrations. Someimes, I keep quiet when I get mad in fear that I may hurt others with words spoken in a fit of anger.
    Let's work hard together to change for the better and ace this communication skills module!

    ReplyDelete