Thursday, February 26, 2009

Don't call me "Xiao Jie"!

In Singapore, we often have the habit of addressing a gentleman as "先生" (xian sheng) or a lady as "小姐 ” (xiao jie) in Chinese. This form of address is especially useful when we are addressing a stranger or when we are addressing a waiter/waitress/salesperson in Chinese.

However, things seem to be rather different in Beijing. I will take this opportunity to recount an event that my mother and I faced when we were holidaying in Beijing 3 months ago.

The incident happened when we were having our lunch in a Chinese restaurant on the first day of our tour in Beijing. When my mother reached out to a waitress and called her "小姐", the smile on the waitress' face quickly fade away and she just turned and walked away. My mother called out a few more times but it seems to be falling on deaf ears. Luckily our tour guide heard my mother and requested the waitress to attend to us.

At first, I was quite offended by the waitress' attitude. Personally, I feel that her service needs to be improved. If this had happened in Singapore, the restaurant would probably receive a letter of complaint from the customer.

When we had finished our lunch and returned to our bus coach, our tour guide explained to everyone that "小姐" is actually used to address girls working as hostess in nightclubs. Instead, we should address a lady as "姑娘" (gu niang) or waitress as “服务生” (fu wu sheng). For a man, we should address him as 师夫 (shi fu, meaning master), especially if he is skilled in a certain trade. Now we understand why the waitress totally ignored us and gave us a cold shoulder. She feels that it is demeaning and may even think that we were insulting her when we addressed her as "小姐".

From the above incident, it can be seen that even though we are of the same race, different countries will have different cultural background and understanding towards the same words. It is always wise to find out more about the country's social customs, from greetings to business dealings, so as to avoid any misunderstandings or conflict. It is also important to be versatile and there may be a need to adjust the way you interact with people when you are in a foreign country.

For me, I have resolved not to call any China ladies "小姐" after this incident. However my mother kept forgetting that this is a taboo phrase and would call out once in a while. I was always the one who had to apologise profusely to the ladies after that.

Note: We can see that English words also have different meanings in different cultures too. Here is a table that indicates that some English words have different meaning in Britain and America. (You may click on the table to see an enlarged version.)

9 comments:

  1. Hi,

    I didn’t know addressing the other person as “小姐” would be offensive. Thanks for the useful information!

    Yes, I agree with you that one needs to be versatile and adjusts accordingly to the country you’re visiting. This would help in better communication and easier acceptance in a foreign country.

    You had done a good job in remembering not to use that word and helping your mother to apologise. You had demonstrated sensitivity and respecting their cultures.

    I like your blog skin, very pretty and clean. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi min min,

    From personal experience, we are also not suppose to call Chinese ladies from China, xiao long nu (dragon lady) because it also means prostitute.

    In addition, I am also pretty amused by the way we should address a man as shi fu. I feel as if I am still in the era of Wong Fei Hong or Huo Yuan Jia.

    Nevertheless, I do agree and feel intrigued by the unique culture that can be generated in different countries even thought the people are of the same race.

    Lastly, it is wonderful that you have displayed sensitivity and respect for other cultures. Do share with us more if u have any.

    Ji Fang

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Min Min,

    After reading your post, I guessed i must have offended more than a dozen of ladies from China while i was buying things. I thought using "Xiao jie" was a polite way to address a person instead of "Auntie"! No wonder i did not manage to get any discount from them!

    You not only brought out an important intercultural scenario but also words which have different meanings, depending on which country you are in. I have stored your blogpost in my long term memory! Thanks!

    Cheers!

    Johny

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Min Min,

    Thanks for writing this blog to let us know the correct way to address others when we are in China. Even though I am a Chinese , I thought I would understand the chinese culture and would have no problems interacting with them. How wrong I was.

    Perhaps we should interact more with our fellow chinese students here and find out more of the Beijing culture so that we can present ourselves correctly when we are in Beijing next time.

    I was thinking if i want to be politically correct and address a waitress as "gu niang" in Singapore. How would she respond? I will test their response next time i enter a Chinese restaurant.

    Nice Blog! :)


    Nice blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Min Min!

    I really did'nt know 'xiao jie' meant that way. All along, i thought it was normal to just call the ladies by 'xiao jie'. Thanks for letting us know the right way of calling them.

    Sometimes, even a minor issue such as calling out to someone might result in misunderstanding. Therefore, it is important to understand the different cultural norms, especially when visiting the other countries. =]

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Minmin,

    I agree with you that the same words in different cultures mean different meanings. The same word is often used differently in different context. I would not be surprised if a women in another city of China might find "gu niang" to be insulting or degredatory. A word or a phase in english also tend to have many connotations that is used in different cultures and subcultures. A word that is loaded in one country might neutral or preferred in other countries.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Min Min

    Your recount is very interesting. I find the table of terms (UK & US meanings) equally interesting and useful. I sure don't want to step on someone's toes unknowingly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Min Min

    Thanks for sharing with us this post. I guess most people will make the same mistake if they did not know about this.

    I guess most of them change their perception when they come to Singapore. I don't think they are annoyed if we call them "xiao jie" here. I believe if we are minority at Beijing, we have to follow their culture. I think we have to learn about other country culture first before visiting that country, if not when we may annoyed people there.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Min Min,

    I am the latest person to comment on your blog ! I enjoyed reading your post. You post make me reflect on some possible misinterpretations I may have on other people's reaction.

    Often without true knowledge of something (in this case, a country's culture), we may think our judgment about a person is correct, and may be offended by those who act against our judgement.

    Our learning about intercultural communication really puts me in better perspective and preparation as a global citizen. I will keep in mind about this cultural differences should I travel abroad in the future. Thank you for sharing this, Min Min.

    ReplyDelete