Sunday, March 15, 2009

Physical Touch

"The most basic form of communication, where words are not always needed."

For this week’s blog entry, I would like to talk about a form of non-verbal communication: physical touch.

As human beings, we are equipped with the sense of touch to help us understand and interact with the environment. Sensor receptors located in the skin pick up information from the environment and sent them to the brain. Through the sense of touch, we could identify pressure, temperature and pain and all these carries a message about the environment we are living in. Hence, nature could communicate through us through the sense of touch.

As I was searching through the Internet, I chanced upon the “physical benefits of touch”. Massage has several medical benefits as it could improve blood circulation in our body. However, I feel that the sense of touch goes beyond the physical. Touch can bring emotional well-being and it is one of the most basic ways human beings communicate with each other.

Sometimes, a touch is worth a thousand words. Touch could help us to communicate to one another without the need for words. Physical contact informs the other of our presence, our caring, and our support. When there seems to be nothing one can say, an appropriate touch can convey the best message of all.

For example, gently stroking an infant will induce sleep, soothe pain, and quiet their rage. Teachers could give their students a pat on the back to show their appreciation or approval for a work that is well done while a slap on the hand indicates the opposite. In business relationships, a handshake could indicate mutual consensus to an agreement or contract. Stroking the back of your friend is a way to show support and it could also soothe your friend when he or she is hurt. A hug from your parents or partner communicates love.

As you approach the other with your defenses down and your hand extended in a gesture of acceptance, you stand a better chance of reaching a mutual understanding. However, there must be a level of appropriateness when we are communicating to one another through the sense of touch. Sometimes, the sense of touch could only be exchanged between two parties who have attained a certain level of comfort with each other.

Do you agree that touch is a powerful way of communication, especially when you are close to the person? What does communication through touch means to you?

P.S: Something that I found while I was surfing through the net.


"When words cannot be heard, when reason cannot be understood, and when vision is impeded....touch can heal. My grandson spent 3 months in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, and for over a month our only form of communication with him was through touch. Our touch slowed his heart rate down, soothed his cries and increased the oxygen saturation in his blood. Just a touch, that's all it takes."

6 comments:

  1. What a refreshing topic on non-verbal communication!

    I agree that physical touch is powerful tool of communication. It is a form of communication that we use only with people we know well, e.g. family, friends, and colleagues. When used appropriately, it can help to enhance relationship between people.

    Besides, combining physical touch with appropriate words can enhance the level of the spoken words. I make this statement out of my own experience. At home, whenever my elder brother sees me looking worried, he would pat on my shoulder and ask me "how are you?” But his gesture conveyed deeper meanings. I sense concern, encouragement, support, and care and in his words, even though he was just asking me a general question.

    My brother is a gifted in this aspect of non-verbal communication. His kind words and touch brings comfort to me, my family and his friends. Many of his friends like to comment that he is suitable to be doctor, because of his comforter nature.

    Physical touch is a powerful of communication when aptly used.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Min Min,

    What a sweet topic you have ..... >.<

    Physical touch can indeed enhance communication with others, but usually limited to only the friends and relatives.

    However, I think that such physical communication do not work for everyone. I do have certain friend who hates all form of physical contact, unless its by his/ her loved ones =)

    Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Minmin,

    Cecilia is definitely right that physical touch should be limited to your closed ones. But there's a trend of people giving free hugs nowadays!

    Physical touch, though limited in its capacity to communicate widely, does convey deeper meanings with humans and even animals!

    For me, because of the nature of my work, i used to be away from home for days. But when i am back at home each time, i give a long hug to my dog and i believe its the best form of communication, saying "I am fine all these while. How about you? I miss you." That's my take for physical communication.

    Your post is really interesting and touching!

    Cheers!

    Johny

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is so wonderful that a simple touch can be so beneficial physically and emotionally. Like in the case of the baby, the baby must have felt protected and loved by the human touch of its grandparents and parents. This positive emotions probably lead to physical healing of the baby.

    My sister's way of communcication is touch because everytime i return home, which is once a week, she would give me great BIG hugs. She will also tilt her head for me to kiss her. Haha! In case you are wondering, she's only 10 years old.

    I think children use physical touch as a form of communication more than adults.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Min Min

    I didn't even think that touch is a mode of communcation until you tell me about it.Now I agree with you that touch can enhance communication with others. I However, like what Cecilia say, it can only be limited to loved ones, if not, people might think we are pervert.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just be careful who you extend it to. :p

    ReplyDelete